Thursday, February 18, 2010

Loving Your Body

 Loving your body- I know such a foreign concept huh?  Do we ever just say I love everything about my body? Probably not. I am sure we can find something we want to improve on or change about our bodies. Even little girls are becoming aware of their body image. I am seeing girls younger and younger under go surgeries to enhance their bodies and look older.   They don't even give themselves time to develop. And older women are spending thousands to prevent themselves from aging. "I do it for myself not for others"...is the number one response to why they do this. I understand wanting to look sexier, prettier, younger but at what price. Maybe its just age for me but I can realize now that I feel all those things when I love myself inside.
When I occupy my thoughts with service, compassion or my family... I don't feel the need to complain about all the things wrong with myself.  Hey I know children can alter your body and areas can become baby- a- fied but there are so many risks and side effects to breast augmentation, face lifts, botox..lipo..etc  Don't think I am here to bag on those who do choose to do this, I just have battled it on both sides and come to the conclusion I need to just accept the change. I am getting crows feet despite my lack of smiling. My eyebrows only return to the former location when I put my hair in a tight ponytail. My boobs only look perky when I lift and separate. My stomach doesn't resemble a  washboard but more a ski slope with moguels.
Can I treat my body better..Of course. I can be healthy and more conscience of my overall appearance. I just don't want to wake up one day and regret my decision or look in the mirror and forget want I looked liked before. Does that really make you any more happier?  Temporarily maybe? 
So I end with the words of Toby Keith

I ain't as good as I once was
Thats just the cold hard truth
I still throw a few back, talk a little smack
When I'm feelin bullet proof
So don't double dog dare me now
'Cause I'd have to call your bluff

I ain't as good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was
Maybe not be good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was

5 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I used to swim with a group of ladies in Nashville that were at least 20 years my senior. These were women who wore leather skirts, told dirty jokes and loved life. I learned so much about beauty from them and trust me it wasn't because they looked great in their bathing suits. They offered the real deal. They embraced the jiggles and giggles of life. I want to be just like them.

On a related side note I heard on the news today that a model weighing 105 was too fat for the catwalk....

Tait said...

THat is unbelievable. That shouldn't cause her image problems. I look great but my weight is too much. Seriously modeling is so messed up

Jensen said...

Yes, I am one of those who don't want to age, but I won't do anything surgical to prevent it. Just spend money on lots of face washes and creams or just have your friend touch up your photos and send those out to people you don't see to make them feel bad about themselves . . . :) Seriously, I feel better about myself now than I did when I was first married. Crazy since I was WAY thinner then! It is all a perception thing.

Chelle said...

I feel better about my self image now that I'm older...and have had some work done...lol! So sad, but it is nice being able to buy clothes that fit!! To be honest, it was a huge pain & I dread having to go in & get them re-done when they pop in the next 10-15 years :(:( I've gone back & forth on plastic surgery alot. I think it gets ridiculous sometimes. who needs surgery because they look like an attractive older woman?!?! Oh well, guess I can't point fingers :)

Zana said...

yo...just cancelled my appointment, dang I was going to look so HOT!

we may complain once in a while but it's all talk b/c nothing feels better than having a body that works.

ps. my grandma may have looked pretty for the world with surgeries that kept her youthful but as kids we always adopted the cute chubby grandmas that would bake us cookies & hug us :)